This past week though, I thought less about how to solve anxiety and more about what it means to me and how it feels to me. I realized that I don't have answers all the time because I'm still struggling through anxiety and have a lot of questions I'm trying to answer for myself.
I've always loved writing songs and poems and I've always felt that I could best untangle my jumbled thoughts through the structured creativity of metre and rhyme, so I wrote a poem (or maybe a song without music) about how anxiety feels to me and my journey to overcome it:
A repeated punch in the gut
All the wind knocked out of me, I can't breathe.
When will I get out of this rut?
When will I find some relief?
Heart's beating faster, fighting for air.
Sometimes it hurts too much because I care.
What everyone thinks of me, outside validation is my crutch.
My head is so mean to me,
Preying upon my insecurities and self- doubt
I need my loved ones to snap me back to reality.
Tell me I have nothing to worry about.
But they can't hear my head
Can't understand the state of perpetual dread
Which in my darkest hour makes me wish I wish dead
When it convinces me I'm worthless and tears my self confidence to shreds
But it's a layer I'm finally starting to shed.
I may fear what lies ahead
But I don't let my fear keep me in bed
I will leap forward, not lightly tread
Refuse to believe the lies-"you're selfish," "you're a basket case loser," "you suck at life,"-that I keep getting fed.
It took me a long time to get here
And I'm still nowhere near where I want to be, but my best weapon is to learn to I love me, and keep the faith throughout journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment