| When life gets stressful, I think of this fuzzy guy to calm me down. |
While I am not a licensed
psychologist or psychiatrist and am in no way qualified to determine whether
you suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, I am certain that you feel stress
in your life. There are days when you feel unconfident and like the world is a
video game on expert and you're down to your last life.
I have spent the past 5 years and
change figuring out self care techniques that help me manage my stress in a
healthy way. Not to say that I never feel stressed ever, or that the world
magically becomes a video game on easy where I have unlimited lives. No, what
I'm offering are cheat codes that help me beat the hard levels.
I'm going to start with the
newest self care routine that I have adopted, and that is around bedtime. Even
though I'm 25 and not 2.5 years old, I still need a bedtime routine and I'm not
ashamed to admit it. Like many people who suffer from anxiety, I am a very
light sleeper, and that's once I get to sleep. On a good night, it can take me
1-2 hours to even fall asleep, and that's not always because I'm panicking or
stressing out, it's just that there is a constant flurry of
activity in my brain. It's like there's a whole city inside there like New York
that never sleeps or shuts down!
As a 25-year-old who regularly works out, I do not
think about heart problems, but even more immediate and pressing to me was the
realization that my lack of sleep also made my anxiety worse! According to the American Association of Depression and
Anxiety, (ADAA) insomnia and anxiety create a vicious cycle. While
lack of sleep creates anxiety, anxiety also makes it hard to fall asleep. Kind
of like cranky, stress-filled chicken and egg debate!
However, this problem is well within my control, so
here are four habits I have adopted to give me a good night's sleep:
Bedtime Story
When it came to bed time, I was guilty of a few
bad habits. Since college, I made a routine of watching TV right before going
to bed because I thought that escaping into a goofy sitcom or in somebody
else's drama would help me relax my mind. It turns out that the dynamic storylines as well as the flashing lights and
colors stimulated my brain even more! (even though my eyes would
always droop!) What I decided to do instead was to turn off the tube and
turn the pages of a book.
Unplug
Another thing that overly stimulated my brain was
conversing with friends via text or Facebook messenger as I was planning to go
to bed. Texting is caffeine for my brain. As an extrovert by nature, (not all
anxious people are afraid of socializing btw!) connecting with my friends, the
jokes we tell, the details of their lives, fuels and energizes me, but
unfortunately that also translates to no sleep. So I make it a policy to put
away all electronic devices (smart phone, laptop, iPad, etc.) when I'm
preparing to go to sleep. Disconnecting gives me time alone to reflect and
mediate as well as the chance to recharge. (Pun completely intended.)
Sometimes, I am too wound up from something that
happened during the day so I make an exception and play Candy Crush Saga on my
iPad. The mindlessness and repetitiveness of matching different colored candies
quiets the noise in my brain and allows me to move onto reading and the rest of
my sleep routine.
Setting a Time
According to sleep experts from Harvard Medical School, establishing a
set time to get ready for bed not only lengthens the amount of Zzzs you catch,
but also improves the quality of your sleep! Most nights I choose to start my
unwinding and unplugging process at 10:00 p.m., which usually gets me to sleep
at 11, but I like to go out on weekends and I have a class that ends at 10:00 in
the middle of the week and often don't get home until 11 on those nights.
However, telling myself that at a certain point I can respond to my friend in
the morning or I can catch up on my show the next day allows me to set some
boundaries and add some structure to my routine.
Deep Breathing
As I do all of this, I am taking slow and deep
breaths, which, if you are suffering from anxiety, is the first thing your
therapist will tell you to do. Deeper breaths steady the flow of oxygen in your
body and evens out the heart beat which allows me to feel calmer and more ready
to shut down.
Something that helps me when I'm breathing is
thinking of something that makes me feel happy and safe. For all you Harry
Potter fans, this is like the patronus that fights against the soul sucking
dementors. (Yes, there will be many Harry Potter references in this blog! I'm a
huge nerd!) My patronus is my boyfriend's cat, Keaton, who likes to climb on top
of my chest and cuddle, so when I'm breathing, I think about the warmth and
comfort I feel in those moments. Your patronus doesn't have to be an animal. It
can be a person, a smell, a memory, anything that gives you inner peace and
comfort.
Results
Since starting my regimen, I've been getting 6-8
hours of sleep as oppose to the 4-6 before. I noticed both physical and emotional
signs of increased calm. My breathing was more steady, stressors that seemed
like mountains before now seem more like molehills. This is not to say that
nothing ever bothers me now, or I never stress about a deadline or weekend
plans, but now I am better able to step back, solve the problem rationally, and
most importantly, not let something that I can solve take up unnecessary mental
energy!
These are all steps that have worked for me, but they are not the be
all/end all of sleep! If 11 works better for you than 10, go for it! I
encourage you all to explore and think critically about what makes you feel
most zen and relaxed. Burn sage, meditate, whatever turns your brain off! Just
make it part of your routine and this will allow you to both begin and end your
days feeling relaxed and ready to take on the world.
(Disclaimer: I am not a licensed psychiatrist or
psychologist, and thus I do not have the qualifications or credentials to
diagnose you or recommend any medication. This blog is merely to describe my
own journey with anxiety and to help with supplementary cognitive behavioral
coping techniques that can improve the quality of life. If you have questions
about any medications and are not yet receiving psychological treatment, ask
your physician for a referral.)
No comments:
Post a Comment